Blood

Saturday, January 9, 2010

My Locket

Lucy Locket lost her pocket,
Kitty Fisher found it;
Nothing in it, nothing in it,
But the binding round it.
Mother Goose
I have a locket Frost. Your Grandma gave it to me on Christmas Eve. It is silver and your name is engraved on it. It is my treasure. Since you did not stay with us, it was not very difficult to decide what to fill it with. I filled it with the only part of you I have. It's not a picture of you that rests within my necklace, nor is it a lock of your hair. It is something you gave to us the last time we said goodbye to your tiny swaddled body. We spent a long time, that last time, examining every bit of you. Your Daddy and I took turns touching your face and memorizing your features. We said that you were perfect but somehow your life was eclipsed by something we will never understand. We unwrapped you a little and held your hand, we gave you kisses goodbye and tried to make ourselves leave. We sat longer and held eachother. I kissed your forehead once more. The pressure from my lips caused a bit of blood to drip from your nose. I took a tissue and wiped it from your skin. I let out a little cry, your Daddy said "Keep it", so I folded it and placed it in my purse. We left a little while after, empty armed and lost.
The next week after your Grandma gave the locket to me, your Daddy and I went to our room. We went straight to the drawer where I was keeping the tissue. I sat on the bed and tore the white tissue away from your blood, our blood. It fit just right inside of the locket. You are safe now.
Lucy Locket lost her pocket,
Kitty Fisher found it;
Nothing in it, nothing in it
But the binding round it.
There will always be you, inside of me Frost, no matter how lost I feel.
Night, night Frost
Mama loves you.

No comments:

Post a Comment