Blood

Wednesday, January 13, 2010

A Kite in the Sky

Tonight riding in the car, Hadley looked up and noticed the Big Dipper. She said "Look there's a kite in the sky." I said "Where?" and she told me "in the stars." I looked and saw the Big Dipper. I then told her that it was called the Big dipper and she said "Oh yeah, I remember now". We talked more about the stars and decided that in the springtime we are going to spread out an old blanket and stargaze. This makes me happy. The stars have always brought me peace. I watched and wondered at them constantly when I was younger. Your Grandpa and I were connected through these heavenly bodies, Frost. We watched the sky together and found friendship there. After he died, I looked to the night sky often and found solace. Your sister and I will now do this together. Just like so many before us, we will look to the stars for answers. I will teach her what I have learned and I will listen to her innocent wisdom.
Your sister hasn't cried yet Frost. I worry for her, I know that inside she is confused and hurting. She tells me that she wants to cry but her eyes won't let the tears come yet. Maybe she is like the night, only letting a few stars fall when they are ready. I am waiting for her meteor shower.

Falling Stars
Do you remember still the falling stars
that like swift horses through the heavens raced
and suddenly leaped across the hurdles
of our wishes - do you recall?
And we did make so many!
For there were countless numbers of stars:
each time we looked above we were
astounded by the swiftness of their daring play,
while in our hearts we felt safe and secure
watching these brilliant bodies disintegrate,
knowing somehow we had survived their fall.
by Rainer Maria Rilke

No comments:

Post a Comment